December is here and with it the festivities …it is also a time for reflection and introspection:
Some have asked: “Daktari, why this passion for all things organic?”
- Here is the answer: To quote the visionary marine biologist and environmentalist, Rachel Carson, in her book: Silent Spring…”human health is intricately tied to environmental health”… like her i “see” a link between a toxic environment and poor health outcomes…that is what drives my team, at OCA, in contributing to creating Consumer Awareness…all evidence based.
- Synthetic fertilizers and chemicals(remnants of WWII left over by-products!) are turning the Silent Spring(killing birds) into the Silent Night(killing frogs and other amphibians): https://www.elementascience.org/articles/10.1525/elementa.246/
- Here is evidence that the chemical-industrial model, which embraces GM approaches, has failed to achieve the promised food security: This approach promised to solve the hunger problem but instead has increased hunger and created a new form of malnutrition; Obesity, which is increasing and with it, an increase in debilitating non-communicable diseases(NCDs), which include deadly diabetes and cancers. http://www.fao.org/state-of-food-security-nutrition/en/
- GMO technology promised to increase yield and reduce pesticide use but it has achieved the opposite: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29024306
- Here is the Australian experience with Bt. cotton evidencing the failure of this approach to deliver on the promises: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1071/CP17116
- In India, after failed promises, from Bt. Cotton, they are moving away from the failed GMO cotton experiment to embrace local varieties of cotton, including organic cotton production: India is currently the leading producer of organic cotton in the world: https://www.soilassociation.org/media/13510/failed-promises-e-version.pdf and here more evidence: http://www.pan-uk.org/cottons-chemical-addiction/
- What is the way forward? The solution includes a paradigm shift to an agro-ecological organic food production system in harmony with Nature.