How can we achieve food security and mitigate global warming naturally?
The New Year is here! What are your New Year resolutions?
At Organic Consumers Alliance (OCA), they include:
- We shall continue to create evidence based awareness on how we can improve our health and that of the environment; the two are intrinsically linked…living in harmony with Nature.
- Increase OCA’s impact by partnering and collaborating with like-minded entities and groups…
- Leverage social media platforms and other multimedia channels to achieve a wider readership in our awareness creation efforts, hopefully, followed by lifestyle behavioral change changes, with a focus on mitigating lifestyle diseases…especially the chronic non-communicable diseases…
- ? be adaptive and accommodative of the unforeseen…
What have we done to increase awareness in the recent past?
We have actively contributed, in partnership with like-minded small scale/family farmer friendly and food security promoting organizations, produced and collated relevant information and materials to educate farmers and consumers on the dangers of pesticides and chemical based agriculture, including the dangers of transgenic seeds(also referred to as GMOs) and how they cause harm to soil, plants, animals, humans and the environment: Click here for an example: http://theorganicfarmer.org/sites/default/files/TOF%20No%20125%20October%202015.pdf
What evidence do we have that agro-ecological organic farming can sustainably feed the world?
- Authoritative information and findings as documented in the International Assessment for Agricultural Knowledge Science and Technology Report(IAASTD): It recommends a shift to agro ecological organic agricultural farming systems.
- How can we agro-ecologically “green” the world’s deserts and reverse climate change?: A YouTube presentation by Allan Savory, a leading African Ecologist: A must watch presentation!
- And much more….go to the OCA section on articles and scientific publications for more…here
- A happy, healthy, prosperous and organic New Year!