Do you know why agro-ecological organic food production is not only good for human health but also good for drought and related climate change mitigation? Here is why.
The month of February, 2017, is here and with it the worsening drought that has been visited upon us;
- The questions many of us are asking include; Is genetic biotechnology as applied in drought resistant GM seeds the “magic bullet” or the villain in matters climate change?
- Can affordable, locally adapted and climate friendly agro-ecological approaches provide sustainable, safe, healthier and ensure food security/food sovereignty?
- Do we have any evidence negative health consequences from GMO seeds, on the one hand and positive evidence on the other hand, of ecological organic food production as the solution?
- The answer is YES. And here is the evidence:
- Who will feed Africans? Small scale farmers and not corporations! http://acbio.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/FoE-Africa-report.pdf
- Release of GM insects is a threat to ecological organic farming: http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/9/1/59
- Evidence that GM maize is not substantially equivalent to non-GM maize:http://www.nature.com/articles/srep37855